The vision of the Benwood Foundation is that the Chattanooga region will be a place shaped and sustained by its magnificent landscape, driven by its can-do spirit, and inspired by its commitment that all residents thrive.
Mission: The Benwood Foundation is dedicated to supporting the people and projects that make Chattanooga a great city.
Our goals are to:
- Improve and preserve Chattanooga’s qualities of place
- Build our local talent base
- Improve our competitive advantage
- Celebrate and enhance our diverse and unique culture
We do this by:
- Supporting Strategies that demonstrate high impact results
- Engaging dynamic partnerships and collaborative efforts
- Testing big ideas and innovative models
- Energizing collective action
- Practicing skillful leadership and influence
- Committing to time frames needed for change
By reconnecting to our region’s magnificent natural assets - our river and mountains - and by creating vibrant new places within the city for people to gather and celebrate, Chattanooga’s own “turn around” has been strongly rooted in its sense of place. Benwood is focused on supporting initiatives that develop and strengthen that connection within the city.
Within the Place priority area, we focus on the following:
- downtown and urban neighborhoods,
- open space and connectors and
- our natural resources.