Back to All Events

Lunch & Learn: Regenerative Design with Anica Landrendeau

RSVP HERE - Free for Members / $15 Non-Members. Lunch is included.

Join green|spaces for a special Lunch & Learn with Anica Landrendeau, Director of HOK’s global sustainable design practice.

Buildings represent 50-70% of greenhouse gas emissions in most cities, but most cities only replace 1-2% of building stock every year. Building codes address new construction and major renovations, but don’t trigger renovations in existing building stock (instead, renovations trigger the code) – so how do we address the other 98% of buildings each year?

This presentation will provide an overview of how several cities are starting to pass benchmarking policies and building energy performance standards to address their existing inventory. Speaker Anica Landreneau will take a deeper look at Washington, DC’s Sustainable DC and Clean Energy DC plans, and how they led to the recently passed the Clean Energy DC Omnibus Act, which advances the District to a 100% Renewable Portfolio Standard by 2032 and sets its sights on improving the energy performance and carbon emissions of existing building stock. The presentation will discuss how these policies address existing building performance, how benchmarking and performance standards vary by city, and how these policies can transform cities.

The presentation will conclude with a series of deep green retrofits and adaptive reuse of historic and non-historic older buildings, highlighting design opportunities to preserve historic character while improving access to daylight and fresh air, significantly improving energy and water performance, addressing issues such as resilience and security, revitalizing communities and attracting talent, while reducing embodied energy impacts.

AIA CEU Pending.

Earlier Event: August 13
AIA Extended Studio Meeting
Later Event: August 14
Resilience for All