Build It Green - BIG
Build Me a World and Empower Chattanooga are partnering in a new 12 week energy jobs training program, Build it Green. BIG is based off Stan Johnson’s workforce development program, Socially equal energy efficiency development (SEEED), based in Knoxville, TN.
BIG aims to generate pathways out of poverty for young adults through job readiness training, community organizing and outreach training, and technical training in the home energy field. Affordability of utilities is one of the greatest challenges to low income neighborhoods in Chattanooga. This program brings solutions to issues of energy efficiency in low income areas as well as a pipeline for employment into the green economy. BIG utilizes a unique blend of community outreach, personal development, and technical training to create workforce ready young adults.
The 12 week program will prepare young adults from low-income communities for entry level jobs in the energy services field, while equipping them to engage low-income residents in sustainability practices and programs, particularly best practices in residential energy efficiency and weatherization programs.
BIG participants will gain the following from the 12 week program:
- 6 weeks community engagement/personal development/job readiness training
- 6 weeks technical training in weatherization and community sustainability
- 3 days per week, 4 hours per day of training
- Weekly job shadowing & off site job training opportunities
- Paid training - $10/hour for 12 weeks
- Paid job shadowing opportunities
- Job placement assistance
- Base training in weatherization and basic home upgrades
- No GED or high school equivalency required
Interested in Applying?
Applications are currently closed. We will reopen the application process for the fall training program at the end of summer.